Pin It

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Lemon Waffles with Lemon Icing

So can I just start by saying that I am still on a "lemon" kick? Every time I open my refrigerator, I see these beautiful, fresh lemons calling out to me to be made into something. So today I am going to have a lemon cooking day. It started with lemon waffles with lemon icing for breakfast. I am going to attempt to make a lemon pound cake with lemon glaze. I'm also going to try making noodles for lunch with lemon/ginger dressing. We'll see how it all turns out. But as for the waffles....YUM! They had a very light taste and I was very happy with the way they turned out. This is when I wish my girls still lived at home, so they could try all these things along with us. I guess maybe my neighbors will get the rest of the waffles :)
As for the picture....well if I had some fresh berries and whipped cream it sure would have been prettier, but I didn't, so this is what you get. I obviously didn't "drizzle" my icing very well haha.
Yes I DO Have a heart shaped waffle maker. Cheesy? Maybe...but I thought it was sweet about 20 years ago when I purchased it to make waffles for my hubby! ;)
Lemon Waffles
  • 4 eggs, separated
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1-2 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
  • Zested peel of 1 entire lemon
  • 1/4 cup melted butter
  • 1 and 1/4 cups flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
In bowl, beat egg yolks with the sugar and salt. Blend in the milk, lemon juice, lemon peel, and butter. Beat well. Add the flour and baking powder. Beat egg whites until they are stiff and fold into the batter. Cook in a preheated waffle iron until golden brown.

Lemon Icing
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp lemon juice
Zest of ½ lemon
3 Tbsp milk

Mix together in a blender until smooth.  If you don’t have a blender,  just be sure to sift your powdered sugar very well and you can stir it together in a bowl.  Just make sure there are no lumps!


No comments:

Post a Comment