Pin It

Monday, January 17, 2011

Mint Chocolate Chip Filled Cake

Well, last night I could not sleep at all. I laid in bed tossing and turning and just couldn't shut off my brain. So when John left for work early this morning (4:30) I decided to just get up and start my day. I had plans to make a
"mini" cake today for my neighbors birthday, using my new fill and frost pans I bought for Christmas. They are pretty handy, and make filling a cake so simple! Anyway, I made a chocolate cake, filled  it with an amazing mint chocolate chip buttercream filling. Making filling was fun and I would definitely make it again, and I can't wait to try different variations on the flavors! I had plans to frost it with a home made buttercream frosting, but suddenly the thought hit my brain to try making home made fondant. I have never  tried anything like this. It was super easy to make and covered the mini cakes very well. I know that I didn't get it smooth and it doesn't look "professional" but hey....not only am I running on 3 hours of sleep, but I have never done this before. I guess it's not too bad for a first attempt. Fortunately I had all the ingredients here at home and didn't have to run out to the store. After I frosted the first cake and decorated it, I threw together the second one, (which is obvious from the pictures), threw some coconut on the top, just to finish it off and sliced it so you could see the filling on the inside. Yes, I will definitely take the "unsliced" one to my neighbor for her birthday haha! When all was said and done, I had extra cake batter so I made chocolate cupcakes with the leftover batter and frosted them with my leftover filling. The filling would not pipe through the decorator tip, because of the big chocolate chips, so I had to improvise, which is why the cupcakes are not the best decorated either!

 Here is the finished mini birthday cake!


This is what the filling looks like in the above pictured cake, though this is just the filling on a quickly thrown together one for the picture

This is my new cupcake batter pourer. It really helped. No muss...no fuss. It's great for pancake batter too :)


These were the cupcakes I made out of the leftover batter

2 comments:

  1. You seriously need to own your own bakery/restaurant. I dont really even care for cake and this looks good to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to Janine, but I doubt it will ever happen :(

    ReplyDelete